Two people have been arrested in connection with a burglary at a Phoenix bakery, after a witness recognized the suspects from a social-media post, Phoenix police said.

The burglary occurred April 9 shortly before 9:30 a.m. at  My Gal Sal Bakery and Catering, 15820 N. 35th Ave., Phoenix police said.

A man and a woman entered the bakery and stole items from behind the counter while no one was around, police said.

Surveillance-camera video caught the two people approaching the counter, then reaching around it and taking items, which, according to a Facebook post from the bakery owner, included an iPad.

The video was provided to Phoenix police and posted on social media by the bakery’s owner, Phoenix police said.

MOREApp users, watch the video here

On Tuesday, officers in the area of 19th Avenue and Bethany Home Road were contacted by a witness who recognized the two from the social-media post and reported they were in the area, police said. The officers approached the two suspects and took them into custody, police said.

Police identified the suspects as Michael Winefsky, 46, and Sarah Stasium, 33.

Winefsky was booked for investigation of third-degree burglary, trafficking in stolen property and possession of dangerous drugs, police said. Stasium was booked for investigation of third-degree burglary, police said.

“We probably won’t get our iPad back, but just knowing they are off the streets is the best news ever,” said the bakery’s owner, Salomae Schroeder, in a Facebook post.

Schroeder told The Arizona Republic the burglary was the second at the shop since she opened it last November. She said she was in the next room when the two burglars entered the store in last Sunday’s incident.

“Our front door was open because the electricians were doing work here on a day we are closed and carrying in tools and equipment,” she said. “He was on a ladder with his head in the ceiling while I was standing with my back to (the) reception (area) talking to him when the robbers came in.”

Signs were in place saying the shop was closed and the display cases were empty, she said.

“It was obvious we were closed. That did not give them the right to steal from us,” she said.

Read or Share this story: