Go inside the Phoenix Fire Department 911 call center to learn about what’s going on when you call 911 in the Phoenix metro area. Hannah Gaber/azcentral.com
A tower of smoke could be seen for miles after a fire was sparked at a south Phoenix junkyard Monday afternoon, the Phoenix Fire Department said.
The fire, lit by highly flammable junkyard materials, created heavy flames and smoke at 3220 W. Broadway Road at around 2:30 p.m., according to a news release.
Firefighters set up large water streams to control the fire and to protect nearby businesses. It was put out by around 4:30 p.m.
Fire officials said winds fanned the fire and the flames burned plastic, tires, upholstery and tanks that contained highly flammable materials, while scorching piles of metal.
One firefighter was hospitalized with symptoms of heat exhaustion. The firefighter was recovering and was expected to be released later Monday night, officials said.
Crews will survey the area throughout Monday evening and early Tuesday to check for hot spots, authorities said.
Read or Share this story: http://azc.cc/2smwjzL