Aaron Juan Saucedo, the man identified by police as the suspected “Serial Street Shooter,” tells a judge he is innocent during an initial appearance on May 9, 2017, in Phoenix.
Maricopa County Superior Court
1 of 14
The Arizona Republic reporter Megan Cassidy sums up the press conference held at Phoenix police headquarters announcing the arrest of the suspect in the “Serial Street Shooter” case on May 8, 2017. Tom Tingle/azcentral.com
2 of 14
Phoenix police have arrested Aaron Saucedo in connection with the “Serial Street Shooting” case.
3 of 14
Phoenix police released this recording of a 911 call made by a victim of the so-called ‘serial street shooter’ in a July 11, 2016, incident — the latest in the string of unsolved shootings.
4 of 14
Teresa Anderson explains what it’s like to live in the Maryvale area where fatal shootings have occurred. Video by Patrick Breen/azcentral.com
5 of 14
A 16-year-old boy suffered non-life-threatening injuries after being shot while walking in the 1000 block of East Moreland Street. Police say this shooting is the first in a string of shootings attributed to the Phoenix “serial street shooter.”
6 of 14
On March 18, about 11:30 p.m., a 21-year-old man suffered non-life-threatening injuries after being shot while standing outside of his vehicle in the 4300 block of North 73rd Avenue. This is a 911 call made shortly after the incident.
7 of 14
Republic reporters Megan Cassidy and Michael Kiefer talk about a recent update in the “serial street shooter” case. Thomas Hawthorne/azcentral.com
8 of 14
At a press conference held at the Phoenix Police Department, the Mayor of Phoenix and members of law enforcement asked for public help in solving the serial shooter case. Tom Tingle/azcentral.com
Tom Tingle/ azcentral.com
9 of 14
Thomas Braxton, 47, discusses the “serial street shooter” who has been connected to a ninth shooting incident, in the 3000 block of Oak Street. Adrian Hedden/azcentral
10 of 14
The Phoenix Police Department met with members of the community on Wednesday, July 6, 2016.
11 of 14
Sharon Layton talks about the night Angela Linner, Stefanie Ellis and Maleah Ellis were shot and describes how she and family members tried to help. David Kadlubowski/azcentral.com
12 of 14
According to police, four shootings committed in west Phoenix are likely connected to the same shooter or shooters. Megan Cassidy and Thomas Hawthorne/azcentral.com
13 of 14
Police are asking for the public’s help in solving a string of unsolved murders in west Phoenix, including three shootings in the first two weeks of June.
14 of 14
Aaron Juan Saucedo appears before judge
Reporter Megan Cassidy on Phoenix ‘Serial Street Shooter’ arrest
Phoenix police arrest suspect in ‘Serial Street Shooter’ case
911 call: The latest Phoenix ‘serial street shooter’ victim calm after shooting
Maryvale resident talks about violence
911 call: The first attack attributed to the ‘serial street shooter’
911 call: The second ‘serial street shooter’ incident
‘Serial street shooter’ case
Law enforcement asks for public help in serial shooter case
Neighbor comments on ‘serial street shooter’
Maryvale community meeting
‘We just don’t know why they did it’
Police: 5 west Phoenix homicides likely connected
Phoenix police seek public help to solve string of murders
Aaron Juan Saucedo, the man identified by police as the suspected “Serial Street Shooter,” blurted to a judge that he was innocent after being read the 26 charges, including eight counts of first-degree murder, that Phoenix police are seeking against him.
“I’m innocent,” he said, standing before the judge in jailhouse stripes and handcuffs.
The judge replied, saying, “You’re presumed innocent at this time, sir.”
“Yeah,” Saucedo said.
Video of his initial appearance before the judge, whose name was not immediately available, was released Tuesday morning.
Police announced Monday afternoon that Saucedo had been arrested in connection with the string of shootings in Phoenix that left nine people dead and two injured between August 2015 and July 2016.
Saucedo is now facing nine counts of first-degree murder and has been jailed since April 19 in connection with the Aug. 16, 2015, shooting death of 61-year-old Raul Romero, a man whom his mother had been seeing. Police say it appears the other victims of the Serial Street Shooter were chosen at random.
Tuesday morning, the judge ordered that Saucedo be held without bond “until the charges are completely resolved.”
“I do find that there is probable cause to believe you committed these charges, sir, and I do find … there is proof evidence and the presumption is great that you actually committed these crimes as stated in the charges I went over with you,” the judge said.
The new charges against Saucedo, as alleged, include:
- First-degree murder, eight counts
- Discharging a firearm at a residence
- Drive-by shooting, six counts
- Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, three counts
- Attempted first-degree murder, three counts
- Aggravated assault causing serious physical injury, two counts
- Discharging a firearm at a non residence
- Criminal damage
Read or Share this story: http://azc.cc/2phceKa