There were 62 former Arizona high school boys basketball players on the rosters of NCAA Division I men’s basketball teams during the 2016-17 season.
Nine of them were on teams that made the NCAA Tournament.
After the first two rounds, three remain.
Will any of them be on a team that makes it to Glendale for the Final Four?
WIN $1,000 IN PRIZES: NCAA Tournament bracket contest
Arizonans on NCAA Tournament teams:
- Oregon: Casey Benson, guard, 6-3, 185, junior, Tempe Corona del Sol (Team plays Michigan in Sweet 16)
- Arizona: Talbott Denny, forward, 6-5, 215, senior, Tucson Salpointe Catholic (Team plays Xavier in Sweet 16)
- South Dakota State: A.J. Hess, guard/forward, 6-7, 200, senior, Phoenix Country Day (Team eliminated by Gonzaga in first round)
- Marquette: Markus Howard, guard, 5-11, 175, freshman, Gilbert Perry (Team eliminated by South Carolina in first round)
- St. Mary’s: Tommy Kuhse, guard, 6-2, 185, freshman, Mesa Mountain View (Team eliminated by Arizona in second round)
- Kansas: Mitch Lightfoot, forward, 6-8, 210, freshman, Gilbert Christian (Team plays Purdue in Sweet 16)
- NC Central: Pablo Rivas, forward, 6-6, 210, junior, Laveen Cesar Chavez (Team eliminated by UC Davis in First Four)
- St. Mary’s: Elijah Thomas, forward, 6-5, 210, freshman, Peoria Sunrise Mountain (Team eliminated by Arizona in second round)
- Nevada: Collin Weaver, guard, 6-3, 205, junior, Phoenix North Pointe (Team eliminated by Iowa State in first round)
Of the nine former Arizona high school players in the NCAA Tournament this season, Howard was the highest-scoring player during the regular season.
He averaged 13.2 points per game.
ARIZONANS IN MEN’S COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Top scorers during regular season
Other key contributors from Arizona in the NCAA Tournament include Benson, who averaged 4.9 points per game during the regular season, Hess, who averaged 9.8, and Rivas, who averaged 6.8.
Teams with Arizonans poised to make long tourney runs include Kansas (No. 1 seed in Midwest Region), Arizona (No. 2 in West) and Oregon (No. 3 seed in Midwest).
To see photos of all 62 former Arizona high school basketball players on Division I college basketball rosters this season, click here.
For more from The Heat Index, go to heatindex.azcentral.com.
Follow Jeremy Cluff on Twitter.