BALTIMORE — Only one day after being called up to the Houston Astros, third baseman Colin Moran was carted off the field against the Baltimore Orioles in the top of the sixth inning in what was a scary moment for everyone inside Oriole Park at Camden Yards.

Moran fouled off a delivery from O’s right-hander Darren O’Day, but the ball ricocheted backwards into Moran’s own face. The errant foul tip appeared to connect with Moran’s left cheek bone.

“It happens on bunts, it’ll happen on ricochets,” said Astros manager A.J. Hinch. “I’ve seen it happen, and it’s on a lot of blooper reels because it can knock guys down or it knocks their helmet off.

“Rarely does it turn like that, where it takes a guy out of the game. So you go from a little bit of a blooper reel, where something you don’t normally see on the field, to major concern about a player.”

Though there is still no diagnosis on the injury, Hinch said that Moran is currently at the hospital being evaluated for a concussion and fracture, while also undergoing “an array of tests.” The Astros are expecting an update by Sunday at the latest, but Hinch believes it is a near certainty that Moran will be placed on the disabled list.

Moran immediately stumbled to his knees after the incident in the sixth inning, and Hinch said that he saw blood on his third baseman’s face when he got onto the field.

According to Hinch, Moran immediately wanted to get off the field despite not feeling well. He was able to stand with the help of medical staff, but it lasted only briefly, as Hinch said Moran immediately felt nauseous and like he was going to pass out. At that point, Moran sat back down and remained seated for roughly five minutes until being carted off the field.

“You hate for a guy like that — especially because he’s swinging the bat well right now — but more than that, just as a teammate, as a member of this baseball family, we obviously wish him a quick recovery,” said Astros right-hander Collin McHugh. “It’s hard for me to watch things like that. I had to look away. We’ve got a great training staff — a top-notch staff that helps with recovery with all of us — so hopefully it’s not too bad and we can see him back out here pretty soon.”