We’ve been talking about the possibility of rain in the Phoenix area ever since the clouds started rolling in over the weekend.

And now, Valentine, stormy weather is here.

Maricopa County rain gauges detected 0.04 inch of rain had fallen in Phoenix, Anthem, Tempe, Scottsdale and Fountain Hills by 2:30 p.m. 

Widespread showers were in the forecast for south-central Arizona on Wednesday,  according to the National Weather Service. The Valley was expected to get more than a quarter-inch of rain in some areas.

The National Weather Service said a storm system moving in from the west would bring “scattered to numerous showers” Wednesday night through Thursday.

There’s a 30 percent chance of showers for Wednesday afternoon, which increases to 70 percent into the evening. The forecast high is 69 degrees, with a low of 53. 

MORE WEATHER:  Why has it been so dry lately in the Phoenix area?

ARIZONA DROUGHT UPDATE:  It got worse in January 


Rain falls in downtown Phoenix on Feb. 14, 2018. The Republic/azcentral.com

The last year it rained on Valentine’s Day in Phoenix was 2007. And the record rainfall in Phoenix on Valentine’s Day — at least since the National Weather Service has been keeping track — was in 1931, when 0.92 of an inch fell. 

On Thursday, expect a 40 percent chance of showers with a high of 65 and low of 50.

Friday should be drier and warmer.

Are you getting rain where you are? Tweet photos and video to @azcentral or tag azcentral on Facebook.


Show Thumbnails

Show Captions


Montgomery: No charges for Chandler Hamilton school staff in football hazing case

ASU bar in Tempe ‘will not allow any Arizona Wildcat gear, colors or behavior’

Chandler parents rally community to press for school district action after racist video


Read or Share this story: http://azc.cc/2nZRUtX