Editor’s note: We’ve updated this story with salary information through May 26, 2017.
Now, it’s time to continue our series ranking NFL players by salary by position with a look at the offensive linemen.
Teams are putting a premium on protecting the quarterback.
73 offensive lineman now make at least $5 million in average annual salary per year, per overthecap.com, a site that tracks NFL player contracts.
37 make at least $8 million.
19 make at least $10 million.
The highest paid offensive lineman in the NFL is the Chargers’ Russell Okung. He makes $13.25 million per season.
NFL’s highest paid offensive linemen (average salary per year):
1. Chargers offensive lineman Russell Okung: $13.25 million
2. Redskins offensive lineman Trent Williams: $13.2 million
3. Saints offensive lineman Terron Armstead: $13 million
4. Cowboys offensive lineman Tyron Smith: $12.2 million
5. Bills offensive lineman Cordy Glenn: $12 million
6. Packers offensive lineman David Bakhtiari: $12 million
7. Browns offensive lineman Kevin Zeitler: $12 million
8. Chiefs offensive lineman Eric Fisher: $12 million
9. Vikings offensive lineman Riley Reiff: $11.75 million
10. Raiders offensive lineman Kelechi Osemele: $11.7 million
– Source: overthecap.com
NFL COLOR RUSH: What teams are wearing on Thursday Night Football
As protecting the quarterback becomes more and more important, we’re likely to see the salary of offensive linemen increase.
How will this list change in the future?
NFL TEAM CANS: Bud Light selling custom beer cans for almost every team
To see the 37 NFL offensive linemen who make at least $8 million a year in average salary, ranked from highest average salary to lowest, click here.
For more from The Heat Index, go to heatindex.azcentral.com.
Follow Jeremy Cluff on Twitter.