At the Scottsdale Quarter, young children avoided the triple-digit heat with some fun water play.
The National Weather Service on Sunday issued an excessive heat warning for metro Phoenix through Wednesday.
Temperatures in Phoenix reached a high of 107 degrees after 5 p.m. on Sunday and could reach 109 on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. A high of 109 would eclipse Phoenix’s previous high this year of 108 on May 5 and 24, according to NWS.
NWS said this week’s sweltering temperatures are due to a strong ridge of high pressure that brings mostly clear skies to the Phoenix area. The ridge is expected to strengthen on Monday, possibly pushing temperatures to 110 in parts of the state.
Temperatures are expected to cool slightly on Thursday with forecasts calling for a high of 106.
NWS advised people to never leave kids or pets unattended in cars, drink more water than usual and avoid alcohol, sugar, and caffeine. People also should wear light colored clothing and a wide-brimmed hat when outdoors to stay cooler.
People should take frequent rest breaks in shaded or air-conditioned homes or buildings, NWS said. Public places with air conditioning include libraries, community centers, government buildings, malls and special refuge stations.
The Salvation Army will open its doors at more than one dozen locations across metro Phoenix on Monday through Wednesday so people can cool off and hydrate.
The organization’s family services department, located at 2707 E. Van Buren St., building 2, will open to the public from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. through Wednesday.
The following locations will be open Monday through Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.:
- Apache Junction Corps – 605 E. Broadway Road, Apache Junction
- Chandler Corps – 85 E. Saragosa St., Chandler
- Eastlake Park – southwest corner of East Jefferson and South 16th streets, Phoenix
- Estrella Mountain Corps – 11 N. Third Ave., Avondale
- Glendale Corps – 6010 W. Northern Ave., Glendale
- Mesa Corps – 241 E. Sixth St., Mesa
- Phoenix Central Corps – 4343 N. 16th St., Phoenix
- Phoenix Citadel Corps – 628 N. Third Ave., Phoenix
- Phoenix Kroc Center – 1375 E. Broadway Road, Phoenix
- Phoenix Maryvale Corps – 4318 W. Clarendon Ave., Phoenix
- Sun Cities West Valley Corps – 17420 N. Avenue of the Arts Blvd., Surprise
- Tempe Corps – 40 E. University Drive, Tempe
- Valley of the Sun Korean Corps – 7238 N. 61st Ave., Glendale
Read or Share this story: http://azc.cc/2subm2U