Two former Mountain Ridge High School students have been indicted in a sexual assault case involving a teammate during an out-of-town wrestling tournament in December, according to the Navajo County Superior Court.

The court clerk confirmed charges are filed in the case but said the indictment is sealed pending it being served to the defendants. The office said it couldn’t confirm the specific charges the teens, both of whom are juveniles, are facing. 

In April, Glendale police told The Republic that the department received a report about two teens sexually assaulting another juvenile teammate during a wrestling tournament in Holbrook.

According to police records obtained by the Arizona Republic in April, the victim said nothing happened on the first night of their stay in Holbrook.

On the second night, according to the victim’s statement, four boys began to wrestle on the beds. One of the boys allegedly told the victim to stop, and when the victim did not, the boy threatened him with sexual assault.

The record said the victim didn’t believe the teammate would do it, but that the boy put the victim in a hold and pinned his arms behind him, pressing his face onto the bed. 

The victim said he was lying face down when a second boy assaulted him while another boy recorded the assault on his cellphone, according to the police report.

The report said the victim attempted to fight off the boys but was eventually placed in a choke hold. He said he struggled to breathe and had bloodshot eyes after the incident.

The victim said evidence of the assault circled around social media and that he was bullied for weeks following the incident.

Deer Valley Unified School District spokeswoman Monica Allread said in April the two suspected teens were disciplined by school officials and no longer attend Mountain Ridge. 

“The school continues to provide support for the victim, as well as ongoing character education and review of guidelines for expected behavior for student-athletes,” Allread said in an email.

Allread said the guardian of the alleged victim contacted school officials more than a week after the trip, and that they then contacted the school resource officer, who helped the guardians file a police report. 

Read or Share this story: